Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mumbai: Day 1

"Heavy rains lash Mumbai for second day", TOI.

I still don't have a raincoat, but I'm so glad I bought those fugly walking shoes before I left, because the puddles here are not to be believed. I got caught in a cloudburst yesterday and by the time I got back to the hostel (all of two blocks away), the paper bag containing my new clothes had disintegrated in my hands. I could have taken shelter like everyone else, but the rain felt good after having been in the woefully unairconditioned Fabindia store. Mom, Fabindia is not at all like Macy's. It is kind of like the Gap, if the Gap had only trad-ish-ional Indian clothes and home furnishings. And no air conditioning. I have no words to communicate how oppressive this heat really is in a store with no fan. Fans are the only thing that make anything bearable. I felt like I was going to die.

The monsoon got to Mumbai on Friday night, and the Sunday paper was all about the city's inadequate storm response systems (or lack thereof). Also, of course, about Bollywood. I watched a really silly Bollywood film on the endless plane ride. It was called "Welcome." I recommend it.

Monsoon: 0 HBW: 0

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At June 9, 2008 at 3:48 PM , Blogger mommy said...

Fabindia's small? How disappointing. The puddles...tell me more about the puddles, baby...also, what happens when it rains in your mouth. How do you keep from swallowing that water?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home