Monday, July 14, 2008

Mumbai: Day 38

Without further ado, I unveil to you a tentative itinerary. And it goes like this:

Mumbai-Agra (train)
Agra-Amritsar (train)
Amritsar-Dharamsala (bus)
Dharamsala-Shimla (bus)
Shimla-Jodhpur (train)
Jodhpur-Udaipur (bus)
Udaipur-Bundi (bus)
Bundi-Ajmer (bus)
Ajmer-Pushkar (bus)
Pushkar-Jaipur (bus)
Jaipur-Mumbai (train)
Mumbai-New York (teleport)

Insane? Yes, but it covers all the bases, including: the greatest monument in the world, the legacies of the British Raj and partition, Tibet in exile, and gemstones. Just kidding, I can't afford any of those. I'm not worried about my itinerary, if only because being here has made me a flexible, go with the flow kind of person. Kind of. So if I get tired or run out of time, I'll cancel a segment of the trip and not freak out about it. Just you watch.

Okay, now back to my humdrum real life. On Saturday I took the train up to Bandra with a friend and went shopping. The train was nowhere near as thrilling as I had expected it to be. Coming home was slightly more chaotic (rush hour), but still not the death trap I'd feared. Then again, I was riding in the ladies' first class car. That's a Bloch-Wehba, riding in style. The most exciting thing I found in Bandra? Mexican food. But I couldn't bring myself to order it. I had a gut feeling it wouldn't suffice--I mean, "masala quesadilla"? Puh-leeze. Channa paneer it is. Then I watched The Departed on television. From what I've heard, that's a movie I don't have to be ashamed of liking. Sunday was eggs florentine, a walk around the neighborhood, and Standard Operating Procedure. So much for not reading "work books'' while on "vacation.''

Before I forget, I've noted some new Indian-isms. Heard recently: "Nakshatra, shift back, there is a lot of place.'' Shift=move. Place=room. Also, when meaning "one at a time,'' people usually say, ''one-one.'' So, "One-one student will come to the board and write the word.'' Additionally, where Americans say "Six into forty-two is seven'' to mean division, Indians often say ''Six into seven is forty-two,'' meaning multiplication. You can imagine how complicated this makes my job.

I've been feeling marginally guilty about the amount of television I've been watching, but I've also gained a new appreciation for commercials. There's one for a matrimony website called Jeevasanthi, where the father follows his daughter around with a turban and plops it on her dates' heads to see if they're ''the one.'' Dad, if you did this, maybe I'd have a boyfriend, but probably not. I like you just the way you are. Thank you for never coming on dates with me. Also, thank you YouTube, for allowing me to share this commercial with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home